Thursday, August 6, 2009

Phone # 3

When I, regrettably, was unable to use my veteran gadget after so many bonding moments with countless incidents involving its' being MIA and a POW in the war that is communication, I had a hard time letting go. Sure, it was useless, but I liked it's key pad's ease of texting and the indestructible, workhorse style.

While I was lamenting and grieving my loss, a friend of mine saw the picture I put up of the deceased device and offered me one just like it that had been his mom's but she no longer used. I was extremely grateful, and accepted without a second thought.

In general it is not the most healthy thing, psychologically, to emotionally replace a lost friend or family member with another. This circumstance was a good model of that. It refused to be the workhorse its predecessor had been. When dropped it turned itself off in protest, and after enduring a year of the usual abuse that comes with the territory of belonging to me, it decided it would only turn on when it so pleased.

I can hardly blame it though.

I drove it to insanity and it met its' maker during my trip to Florida last May.

It had sand in every crevice, which I cleaned out. It rarely got fully charged and was used almost constantly. The final straw, which drove it to a form of dementia, was dropping it into the ocean. I dried it off, sure that a little rest would put it back on its' feet... but alas, it was not to be.
Two weeks later, when turned on it would merely command me to put the right battery in, (which I did,) and count down from twelve then shut down, then power up again, then shut down again, and so on.
It no longer had the mental capacity required for life.

I was again grieving... but mostly just in need of a communication device.

No comments:

Post a Comment